COSTA MESA -- Just one week after demolishing Santa Ana and Golden West in an Orange Empire Conference tri-meet, the Orange Coast College men's and women's track teams each finished second behind powerhouse Cerritos at the 2015 Coast Classic Invitational on Friday.
At the tri-meet, the OCC men toppled the Dons 135-16 and 126.66-25.33 over the Rustlers, while the Coast women hammered SAC 139-7 and GWC, 129-18.
The Pirates won all but six events the entire afternoon and swept the podium on several of their winning events.
Here is a breakdown of the Pirate men's winners in the OEC tri-meet ...
- 400 meter relay (Matt Oyakawa, Jonathan Clayborne, Jeremiah Lewis, Gabe Warner) -- 44.78
- 1500 -- Galyn Nash, 4:10.12
- 110 hurdles -- Noah Rogers, 15.55
- 400 -- Gabe Warner, 48.67
- 100 -- Jonathan Clayborne, 11.37
- 800 -- Eamon Smythe, 1:56.92
- 400 hurdles -- Tommy Duong, 58.39
- 200 -- Gabe Warner, 21.75
- 3,000 -- Galyn Nash, 9:01.23
- 400 relay (Jeremiah Lewis, Gabe Warner, Matt Oyakawa, Jonathan Clayborne) -- 3:36.24
- Javelin -- Tommy Duong, 141-7
- Long Jump -- Chris Gonzalez, 20-3
- High Jump -- Bryan Boutilier, 5-10 3/4
At Friday's Coast Classic, it was a two-horse race on both sides between OCC and Cerritos, with the Falcons taking the top prize on the women's side with 241.50 points and on the men's side with 204 points. OCC was second with 183 points for the women and 161 for the men, with a big gap separating the rest of the teams in the meet.
The 400 relay team of Oyakawa, Lewis, Clayborne and Warner again topped the rest of the field and won with a time of 43.46 seconds, followed by the OCC "B" team of Josh Santos, David Dambre, Chris Gonalez and Kyle Fegan (44.16).
Adolfo Cruz battled Cuyamaca's Oscar Soto to the finish line in the 800 and edged out his rival with a time of 1:58.85, just .04 seconds ahead of Soto's 1:58.89.
It was a 1-2 finish in the 3,000 for the Pirates led by Nash's winning time of 8:55.08, followed by Danny Dominguez's time of 9:03.13.
The Pirates will return to action on Wednesday and Thursday as they host the Orange Empire Conference Multi-Event Championships, beginning at 10 a.m.